Thursday, August 16, 2012

IMA Disability Services

Last May, I filed an application for Social Security Disability (“SSD”) benefits for a 48 year old steamfitter. Three weeks ago, I received a letter from the State agency stating that it was “necessary” for my client to be examined by IMA Disability Services (“IMA”). The letter further stated that my client “must keep this appointment at the time and date indicated.” The State agency should be barred from using the words “must” and “necessary,“ which mislead claimants into believing that they are required to attend the IMA consultative examination ("CE”).

I sent the State agency a letter detailing the many reasons why I objected to the IMA CE. I never received a response from the State agency regarding my objections. Today, I received a fee check for the claimant, which means that the State agency approved the SSD application. As I had contended in my objections, the IMA CE was not actually necessary.

No comments: